Spanish Working Holiday Visa Guide

So you love Barcelona (or some other Spanish city) and want to come live and work here for a while, but you are not EU/EEA citizen? You still can come here with a Spanish Working Holiday Visa.

What Is A Working Holiday Visa?

A Working Holiday Visa (WHV) is a type of visa that allows you to travel and work in a certain country for some months.

Working Holiday Visas are generally valid for 12 months. Some might be extended for another 6 or 12 months.

Who Can Obtain A Working Holiday Visa For Spain?

Currently only 4 nationalities can obtain the Working Holiday Visa for Spain:

1- Australia (See info here)
2- New Zealand (See info here)
3- Canada (See info here)
4- Japan (See info here)

The Working Holiday Visa is meant for young people something like 18-30 years old at the time of application.

However, those that have a valid Working Holiday Visa for another Schengen country (eg Germany, France, etc) should be able to travel to Spain during the time the visa remains valid.


What Type Of Jobs Can I Get With A Spanish Working Holiday Visa?

The Working Holiday Visa will allow you to work in temporary roles. Pretty much all student and service jobs qualify.

The most common jobs are tourism-related:

  • barista
  • model
  • designer
  • photographer
  • waiters
  • kitchen assistants
  • cooks
  • receptionists
  • admin jobs
  • language teachers
  • and many more!

RELATED: How To Find Freelancer Jobs In Barcelona (Remote Work)

The most important thing is to have the visa. Without visa, you’ll need to leave Spain in normally 90 days.

Where Can I work With A Spanish Working Holiday Visa?

With a Spanish Working Holiday Visa, you’ll be able to work in Spain (any region) for as long as the visa is valid.

So your visa will be valid in Barcelona, Madrid, Ibiza, Valencia, Sevilla, etc.

You’ll also be able to change location during the validity of your visa.


How Do I Get A Working Holiday Visa For Spain?

You will have to go to the Spanish Embassy / Consulate in your country or nearest location and apply accordingly.

Find the links to the official information below:

1- Australia (See info here)
2- New Zealand (See info here)
3- Canada (See info here)
4- Japan (See info here)

Important! Depending on your nationality, the number of yearly Working Holiday Visas issued might be limited.

Next Steps: Getting Your Spanish Working Holiday Visa

Visit the official embassy / consulate page and make sure you do not miss any deadlines.

Apply and wait for the resolution. You’ll be in Spain sooner than you think!

Another option is to stay in Barcelona is to get a student visa.

RELATED: Top Universities In Barcelona

Do you know anyone who wants to go and work to Spain? Did you ever travel & work on a WHV?

Related Articles